I simply want everything I do to be an act of worship to God. ********************EVERYTHING******************** like a spider's web, intricately woven, the threads of our lives are entwined, making us who we are, where we are, at this time in history.... here's a small record of one family's journey to love God

Saturday, May 19, 2007

they grew with you

In the "olden days" when everyone sewed their own clothes and darned holes in socks because it was a lot less work than knitting new ones.....mothers made clothes that would fit their babies for longer than 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months....you get the idea.
And I did it for ER(1).
Not because I tried to, but because I was a novice knitter and wasn't the best guestimator when it came to newborn sizes! Although, she had a few woollies that were true newborn size and only fit a short while (like this licorice allsort soaker)

these three pieces were worn from her very first week....right through to now:


OK, so they're rolled up twice and keep her ribs warm - but that's not a bad thing!

...and they're a perfect fit now!

baggy then...

and baggy now!


from longies...

to shorties!

from little feet.....

....to toddler feet.

And just for the record, she has NEVER worn a disposable nappy. NOT EVEN ONE.

We've been camping and tramping and travelling and visiting friends and shopping and to parks and playgrounds and museums and all sorts of places.....we just take our cloth.

It's one of those issues that seems INTRICATE to my generation, but is really quite SIMPLE.

Our grandmothers didn't have the choice to use throw-away nappies, so they just held their babes out over pots and washed their cloth squares. It needn't be any different today - except that we have become accustomed to the convenience of throwing things away. While it may be convenient in the short term, it's not a simple solution in the longterm. We clog up landfill and leave chemicals to leach out into the surrounding soils.......but you've all heard me say it before!!!

5 comments:

Jen and family said...

beautiful knitted clothes
youre clever Rach

Fire said...

I'm glad you got so much use out of those beautiful longies Rachael. ER is looking fantastic! Looks like she's walking too, or nearly!

Unknown said...

I love your blog. You are wonderful. The grace & mercy of God for those who seeks it. www.watchlady.blogspot.com

Kylie said...

What a fantastic job you have done on these - I wish that I could find a pattern that I like - can I ask what the pink one is.

Rach said...

Hi Kylie - those pink ones were my first ever attempt. I used a very basic pattern http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/organicwool/woolpants.html and just made them shorter and put a picot edge on the bottom cuffs. Being a beginning knitter I was also too scared to go back and undo the 3cm I had knit without changing needle size after the ribbing! So they were done entirely on 3.75mm needles - in the end this turned out to be good because they were very waterproof!
Now that I have learned the joys of circular needles though, I will never go back! When I've finished the longies I'm working on right now I'll post a picture and the pattern so you can try it out if you like - it's one I've mish-mashed together from various sources - I think I could call it my own! I've only just done the gusset and I'm going to do ruffles partway down the legs AND it's a size 4-6, so I won't be done this week! (BTW, my 4yo does not wear nappies! We just love woollen pants!)